CT scanning is a non-invasive test performed in a CT scan centre near you that supports the physician in diagnosing and treating medical conditions. In computer tomography scanning, images are obtained from x-ray equipment, and advanced computers produce multiple cross-sectional images of the body part being studied.
CT scans provide more detailed and clear images of organs, tissues, bones, etc.compared to an x-ray. The scanning can be done in any part of the body, and it is a painless procedure.
Uses of a CT scan near me
- They are used to diagnose bone and joint issues.
- To detect mass development, cancer, tumors, etc.
- To locate blood clots and fluid accumulation.
- To detect injuries in internal organs.
- To guide procedures like biopsy, surgery, etc.
How is a CT scan performed?
The x-ray is passed through the body. The radiation is absorbed by various body parts differently. Images from different angles are recorded on a photographic film. Several of such photos are combined with the help of a computer to obtain a two-dimensional cross-sectional view of the part examined. Stacking several such images help in producing the whole picture of an organ. These procedures take only a few seconds.
For children, the procedure is performed with a reduced radiation dose. For a better quality of images, the patient needs to be still with no physical movements. Contrast agents are used in particular cases to obtain a clear image. These agents are to be swallowed or injected or introduced to the body through an enema.
What happens during a CT scan?
You will be asked to lie down on a narrow table that moves inside a doughnut-shaped mouth of the scanning machine. As it is essential to restrict movements for obtaining a clear result, straps and pillows may be used. The scanning is done only for the areas below the chin. You may hear clicking sounds as the x-ray tube rotates.
You are free to communicate with the radiologist anytime during the process in the CT scan centre near you. During the process, you may be asked to hold the breath to avoid image blurring due to the rib cage and diaphragm movement. You will be advised to drink lots of water to flush the contrast material from the body. You can inform the radiologist in case of any distress. Leave the place only once you are perfectly feeling well.
The radiologists in the CT scan centre near you who performed the examination prepare the detailed report of the findings. This report is then passed on to the physician, who suggested the CT scan for further study.
What are the benefits of a CT scan near me?
- Speed, ease, and efficiency of the procedure are highly beneficial in emergency conditions.
- They are non-invasive and painless.
- It can detect bone, tissue, and blood vessels through the same procedure.
- CT scan is a cost-effective medical technique for many medical conditions.
- Less susceptible to patients movements and can be done even with metal implants in the body, unlike MRI scans.
- No immediate side effects and the radiation doesn’t remain in the body after the procedure.
Risks associated with CT scan
The risks associated with a CT scan becomes negligible when considering the benefits that it offers.
- It is recommended that pregnant women should avoid the procedure as it can have a potential impact on the baby.
- Breastfeeding mothers should leave a gap of 24 hours to resume feeding after contrast agent injection.
- Excessive exposure to the radiation of the procedure can increase the risk of cancer in the long run.
- Some may find the contrast material to produce allergic effects on the body. Mostly they are not severe but inform the doctor if you feel any symptoms like itching.
Difference between a single slice CT scan and multi-slice CT scan
In a single slice CT scan, only one image is produced when the x-ray beams are once passed through the body. This procedure takes only one second and is repeated multiple times.
In a multi-slice CT scan, multiple images (6 to 16) are taken in one cycle. Recent advancement in technology has developed techniques that produce up to 64 images in one cycle. As a result, the amount of radiation is considerably reduced.
Tesla’s multi-slice CT scan centre
CT scan is arguably the most valuable diagnostic imaging technique in health care. For your search for the leading CT centres in Chalakudy, Tesla’s CT scan centre proves to be a match. The Revolution Act, which helps to get high-quality images at an optimized dose quickly, is designed in a manner to deliver four benefits — confidence, patient care, financial performance, and clinical excellence.
Multi-slice scanners allow the volume of data to be reformatted in various planes or even as a volumetric 3D representation of structures. Pulmonary & peripheral angiography, brain, chest, abdomen, and orthopedic studies can be done using this.