1.5 Tesla Digital MRI [GE SIGNA CREATOR]
MRI scan is a medical imaging technique that doesn’t involve X-ray but uses a strong magnetic field to generate high-quality images of organs. The GE SIGNA Creator Digital 1.5 Tesla MRI is available at our MRI centre in Thrissur.
The technique is widely used for medical diagnosis. It has a wide range of applications in medical diagnosis: neuroimaging, cardiovascular, musculoskeletal, gastrointestinal, and angiography. It is the investigation of choice in the preoperative staging of many carcinomas and has a role in diagnosis, staging, and follow up of tumors. An investigative tool for neurological carcinomas, it offers better visualization of the posterior cranial fossa, containing the brain stem and cerebellum.
Working of an MRI
MRI is a non-invasive diagnosing technique involving magnetic fields and radio waves. The scanning machine looks similar to a large tube. Strong magnets surround the structure. The patient is placed on an adjustable surface at the nearer mouth of it. During the process, the patient moves inside the tube into the strong magnetic field
The strong magnetic force aligns the protons of the patient to the direction of the magnetic field. The introduction of radiofrequency spins these protons, and once the radio waves are cut off, the protons go back to their previous position aligning to the magnetic field.
The energy released and the time taken for this realignment process changes according to the chemical nature of the body. Contrast agents are given to patients through for some exceptional cases to get brighter images in MRI centers.
What is the scan used for?
MRI scan produces clear images of tissues and non-bony parts like muscles, nerves, tendons compared to an x-ray or a CT scan. MRI scanning process does not involve the use of any harmful radiations like an x-ray. Conditions that can be diagnosed in an MRI scan centre includes:
- To identify tumors and suspicious growths throughout the body.
- To diagnose various central nervous system conditions like multiple sclerosis.
- To study about mental health.
- Check the condition of the heart and lungs.
- To understand the medical conditions of organs like liver, kidney, and endocrine glands.
- To identify and treat bone and joint disorders.
- To monitor blood vessels.
- To examine pelvic region organs of men and women, and glands contained in that region.
- To detect fertility issues in couples.
Benefits of MRI
- The scanning in MRI centers does not involve harmful radiations that cause DNA damage as in an x-ray.
- The technology involved in MRI scanning is capable of differentiating organ tissues based on their physical and biochemical characteristics.
- MRI provides a more precise version of diagnostic results for the head and neck region covering the brain and spinal cord when compared to an x-ray or CT scan.
- MRI can be used to study congenital disabilities of the fetus, as there are no harmful radiations involved in the process.
- Structural abnormalities of the body are diagnosed with greater efficiency in an MRI scan centre.
Risks connected with the scan in MRI centers
Although the scan does not involve any ionizing radiation, the strong magnetic field can cause severe effects on a minority category. Below are the groups at risk when undergoing procedures in an MRI scan centre.
- Patients with implants- metal within the body or around will get attracted to the magnetic field. So people with pacemakers, cochlear implants, ICD, metal hip implants should not undergo the procedure.
- Contrast agent- Some may be allergic to the contrast agent involved in the process. So make sure to take a test before appearing for the procedure.
- Pregnancy- Even though there is no risk to the baby, it is recommended to avoid visiting an MRI scan centre in the first trimester of pregnancy.
- The scanning involves high sounds up to 120 decibels, and some may require ear protection to overcome it.
- The scanning machine is a huge cylindrical structure, and a few may find it mentally disturbing. Claustrophobic patients should inform the doctor before performing the scan.
Digital 1.5 Tesla MRI Scan
The standard technology for MRI scans is 1.5 Tesla MRI Scan, and they are the most commonly used type of scan technology. 1.2T and 3T MRI scans are the other specifications available. Open and wide-bore are two types of MRI scans based on size. Tesla is the measuring unit of the magnetic field produced by the machine in the scan center. The 1.5 Tesla MRI Scan is capable of producing a high-quality image within a short period compared to a 1.2T MRI scan.
Our scheduling staff will block convenient slots for the scanning procedure. Please report 15 minutes prior to the appointment time to verify the documents. Make sure that you remove all the metal items from the body like ornaments, hairpins, etc. This may affect the quality of the result and can cause discomfort to you.