The Digital X-ray Lab Near You – Tesla Scans
X-ray is an anatomical imaging technique to study the internal body parts, mainly teeth and bone. The invasive process makes use of electromagnetic radiation, which is harmful in higher amounts to get the black and white image of the diagnosed part. Here is a short note that will help to clear all your concerns about the X ray lab near you.
Why is an X-ray done?
- To diagnose broken bone, dislocated joints, and infection in bones.
- To treat arthritis.
- To identify dental problems.
- To examine lung infections, digestive tract issues, heart conditions, etc.
- To locate accidentally swallowed objects in children.
- To diagnose cancer
- To examine kidney stones, blocked blood vessels.
How Does An X Ray Lab Near You Work?
The preparations that you need differs from one type of X-ray to another. Depending on the body part being X-rayed, you’ll be asked to wear a hospital gown. You have to remove metal objects, jewellery and eyeglasses; otherwise, it will come up on the X-ray. For some types of X-rays, you’ll be given a contrast medium, that outlines certain areas of your body, and it will be visible on the X-ray image. A contrast medium can be taken through an injection or enema, or it can be swallowed.
The X-ray will be performed either in a radiology department or X ray lab near you. The images will be taken using the X-ray machine, where you will be standing or lying down- it depends on the area that needs to be examined. The radiation from the machine passes through your body. Your bones appear white and soft tissue appear grey, whereas air inside lungs appear black in the X-ray. You can’t feel an X-ray. Sometimes you won’t be able to hold still. So you’ll be asked to hold your breath so that the image will be clear. The images are taken from various angles by the radiologist. However, the time taken for completing the process varies. For a bone X-ray, it takes only a few minutes, but for any complicated problems, it will exceed an hour.
Your results will be saved on the computer. A radiologist examines the report and sends it to the doctor, and the doctor will describe the result. In emergency cases, your X-ray results will be available within a few minutes.
You can continue normal activities after the procedure. If you have taken a contrast medium, then it will be better if you drink plenty of water so that your body expels it.
Are X-rays Safe?
X-rays are used for many years and are considered as a common imaging technique. X-rays help in making the right diagnosis and avoids all the risks. But some safety issues need to be considered before the procedure in an X ray lab near you-
- X-rays have a slight risk of cancer. If you undergo too much radiation, then it might cause cancer. But usually, its amount is low in an X-ray. When compared to children, adults are less susceptible.
- Suppose if you’re pregnant, inform your doctor before the procedure. Your doctor will prefer another imaging technique for you so that your baby won’t be exposed to any radiation.
- Sometimes after using a contrast agent, you might have rare chances for an allergic reaction. Immediately tell your doctor if you have any pain, nauseating feel, itching or swelling at the area where you’ve received the injection. In rare cases, the contrast medium might either cause low blood pressure or anaphylactic shock.
Advantages of X-rays
Even though taking an X-ray alone won’t help in the diagnosis of a medical condition, the X ray lab near you plays a crucial role in diagnosis. There are many advantages associated with X-rays.
- Non-invasive: The main advantage of X-ray is that it is non-invasive. The procedure needs neither incision nor the insertion of any instruments to a patient’s body.
- Guiding: Sometimes, a doctor needs to insert medical devices into a patient’s body. In such cases, X-rays guide a doctor. Not only does an X-ray guide a doctor, but it also helps in removing blockage inside the body of the patient.
- When compared to Computerised Tomography, it has less radiation.
- When compared to other imaging techniques, an X-ray is much cheaper. Also, it is much easier to interact with CT or MRI devices.
X-rays are beneficial for diagnosing, tracking and treating a lot of medical conditions. It’s been used for decades and has relatively less radiation, easy and cheap. X-rays give your doctor a more precise image without a need for incisions. Even though X-rays have risks, its advantages always outweigh the risks. Just make sure that you discuss X-rays with your doctor at the X ray lab near you before deciding which imaging technique is apt for your medical condition.